Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Who is this man?

Well I do know who he is somewhat.


Last Sunday I was at my favorite Goodwill (the only one I normally shop) and was about to head my cart over to the cashier when I spied this heavy little turquoise sporting chalkware piece on the top of a display. For $1.99 I could not pass him up. What with his adorable black cowboy boots, the way he swings his hat in the air behind his head as he grasps the guitar -- he looks like he's just about to burst into song. Surely it wouldn't be Lady Gaga but something fabulous from the 50's like maybe some old Hank Williams or Ferlin Husky.

A couple of days went by and I had put him on the dining room table and picked him up again to give him a closer look since I brought him home. Carved on the inside of his arm holding the hat was a stamp that read, "Universal Statuary Co. Chicago 22, Ill  ©1954

It then occurred to me that I'm probably lucky that the Goodwill pricer-upper didn't notice the stamp on this piece or its price might have been much higher.

As any thrifter would, my curiosity got the better of me and I went to the web o' net and started to do some research on Universal Statuary Company. Clicking on that link will bring you to a little history on the small company that is no longer manufacturing these items. Each item produced had a low production rate so they can be quite rare. Some are also numbered as well.
Now that I've gleaned a little more history on chalkware and the company it made me realize how many pieces I'd passed by in thrifts. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled now!

Do any of you collect Universal Statuary pieces and if so what ones do you have? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment